Friday, February 14, 2014

Let the REAL Games Begin

Happy Valentine's Day! I really like Valentine's Day. It's a great day to celebrate love and candy. I'm sure it's a sad day for newly-dumped diabetics. Let's take a moment for those sad, sad people who can't taste the rainbow with that special someone.

.........

Okay, with that out of the way let's talk about the one thing I love that happens every other year.

Some people have the Super Bowl. Others have the World Series. You might love _____________ insert other sporting event here. I have the Olympics. I often say that I hate sports, but love the Olympics. There is something so great about the world’s best athletes coming together to compete for their country. I really enjoy getting a break from the sports that are on TV for what feels like, every day of the year. I’m looking at you, football. Most people seem to be a bigger fan of the Summer Games rather than the Winter Games, but I love both equally. I imagine this is like what parents must feel like if they have more than one kid. And yes, I’m that serious about the Olympics to make that kind of analogy.


Two years ago we had Jersey Day at a work meeting. Everyone walked in with their football jerseys on and I strolled in with my TEAM USA speed skating shirt. One because I didn't have a jersey and two because TEAM USA is awesome.

10 Things I Love About The 2014 Winter Games:
  1. The opening ceremony: Stop talking about the ring not opening already! This was a beautiful show packed with so much history and culture.
  2. Role models: I love the stories about athletes who have no shot at winning a medal, but are competing to inspire the youth in their country. How amazing is that?
  3. Bob Costas and his Harry Potter glasses: I hope the eye infection clears up soon because Matt Lauer is just not the same. Madam Pomfrey should clear that right up for you, Bob.
  4. Julia Lipnitskaia: Amazing talent! Crazy flexibility! I can’t believe she is only 15-years-old.
  5. Art meets danger: I think the best thing about the Winter Games is how beautiful so many events are to watch, but at the same time dangerous. I almost have a heart attack every night watching the athletes fly through the air or zoom down a track. 
  6. Biathlon: Skiing and shooting? That is pretty awesome. 
  7. Slopestyle events and athletes: I love the comradery between the slopestyle snowboarders and skiers. They all seem to support the new event and each other.
  8. Speed skating: My favorite event at the Winter games.
  9. Wait it’s still winter?: The Winter Olympics are a great distraction from the disgusting winter weather the whole country is experiencing. 
  10. This comment from my Dad: “I still can't figure out why basketball is not in the Winter Games since it was invented as a game to be played indoors in the WINTER!” My Dad follows a lot of different sports so it’s nice to be able to chat with him about the Olympics.
So much to love about the Olympics! I can’t wait to see more events and the closing ceremony. I’m also excited that 2018 will be in South Korea. Maybe a trip is in order….?

No comments:

Post a Comment