Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What I Talk About When I Talk About Trying to Run: Part One

I'll be honest. I'm not a runner. I envy you, Murakami. I think about times I might need to run for my life - chased by kidnappers, murderers, zombies, vampires, aliens, children - at some point, I think I'd just give up. Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm not a survivor, but I'm trying.

Last year I made a Pre-30 Bucket List and decided I was going to run a 5k. I did that on April 28th in Oak Park. I wasn't sure how it was going to go and I think I was following a list of all the things NOT to do before you run a race. Instead of taking it easy the day before, I was on my feet standing in line for five plus hours at Three Floyd's Dark Lord Day (you're welcome, Bryan). Instead of training for weeks in advance, I sat on the couch and ordered delivery (you're welcome, Grubhub). Instead of getting a good night's rest, I stayed up way too late. When I went to bed I didn't know if I was actually going to run the next day. But I did end up going and I did really well (actually my best 5k time as of writing this post).

I decided I needed more of a challenge. I wanted to accomplish more. I really like eating pizza. I think my ultimate goal in life is to eat what I want and not have to buy bigger clothes. So with that new goal in mind, I decided to run more 5ks. In 2013 I completed five 5k's, one two mile race, and even took a 5k running class through the Oak Park Park District. I looked at my Pre-30 Bucket List and decided that I could run a 5k every month in 2014. That pizza is not going to eat itself.

January 2014 - NYD 5k
I kicked off the New Year getting kicked in the butt trying to run a 5k in a blizzard while sick. I was fighting off a two-week long cold by the time my first 5k of the year came around. Chicago was also fighting (and losing) a very disgusting battle with Mother Nature. I can tell you that the only time I smiled during this race was in this picture below. At one point I remember pumping my arms and running as fast as I could through the snow drifts and looking over at Bryan as he was walking next to me. Walking. The conditions were so terrible that it was faster to walk than to run. But I finished and got my free banana.


February 2014 - Warm Your Heart 5k
After January's disastrous "run" I decided to select an indoor 5k. I thought I was being so clever. No elements to deal with this time. I had been training since the January race so I was in good shape. I had a good feeling about this indoor 5k. Except a week before the race I came down with another cold. I know what you're thinking. All this exercise is killing you. And I think you're right. However, despite my hacking and feeling like I was going to puke, I did have my second best time of any 5k I've completed.


We'll see how the rest of the year goes. I still plan on accomplishing my goal. I am clearly insane. For pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment