Monday, March 30, 2015

Let's Talk Books - The Paying Guests and Elizabeth is Missing


Books have been an important of my life for as long as I can remember. When I was grounded as a kid it wasn't TV that was taken away, but books and library visits. My love of books came from my Dad and Mom. I don't think I've ever seen my Dad without a library book in his hand and my Mom always had her portable CD player with her around the house listening to audio books. I was in a reading slump a few years ago, but after joining two different book clubs I feel like I'm reading more than ever. I miss the days of working at Barnes and Noble and being able to talk about books on a daily basis, so I thought the next best thing would be to bring my book ramblings to my blog. Shout out to my friend and fellow book club member Beth for encouraging me to start this!

This year I have a goal to read 40 books and to tackle the 2015 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction Longlist. You can learn more about the Prize here. I'm taking a page (er, CD?) out of my Mom's book and am trying do more audio books. I've had great luck so far with audio books this year and it's helping me to finish more books.

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters (3/5 stars)
What it's about: It's 1922 and Mr. Wray has passed away, the two Wray sons have died in the war, and Mrs. Wray and her daughter Frances have no other option but to convert the upstairs to an apartment and take on lodgers to make ends meet. Enter Leonard and Lilian Barber, a young couple who become the paying guests. Frances develops a crush on Lilian which quickly turns into a love affair. Both women try to hide the affair from Mrs. Wray and Leonard, which of course doesn't go exactly according to plan.

What I thought: This was my second Waters book. I read Tipping the Velvet last year for book club and really liked it. I didn't love the characters as much in The Paying Guests. I found Lilian to be insufferable for about 80% of the book. Part of this probably has to do with the audio version I was listening to (she did a great job at making Lilian's voice as annoying as possible every time she cried out to Frances) but I wanted to shake her and yell "Grow up!" every time her name crossed the page. No one seemed to really grow, improve, or even change throughout the book which made it seem a little bit exhausting to read. It was like listening to a friend tell you about a series of terrible decisions they made and when they got to the end of the story they said, "I guess that's it. What's for dinner?"

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey (4/5 stars)
What's it about: Maud can't remember she's already bought canned peaches. She can't remember if she's eaten or where she lives. Sometimes when she looks into her daughter's face she struggles to figure out who she is. But there's one thing that Maud, despite her dementia, never seems to forget. Her friend Elizabeth is missing. As she tries to put the pieces and handwritten notes together she's reminded of another woman, her sister Sukey, who also disappeared from her life years prior. The book flows back and forth between present day and Maud's memories of her sister's disappearance.

What I thought: I was immediately sucked into Maud's story and her observations on how people treat and see her. They were so beautifully written that at times it was heartbreaking. I liked her interactions with her daughter Helen and her granddaughter Katy. I could feel Helen's frustrations in answering the same questions over and over and  I could appreciate the humor that Katy felt in some of the same situations. I enjoyed the Elizabeth story more than the Sukey parts. I wanted less detail when she looked back and more detail as she searched for Elizabeth, but I'm sure she did too. The book reminded me so much of my Grandmother who also had Alzheimer's. Some of the last visits with her I can remember involve her asking me and my brother what grade we were in repeatedly. I don't know if this book will get the attention it deserves with Julianne Moore's recent Oscar win for Still Alice fresh in everyone's mind, but it's definitely worth the read (or the listen). 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're doing this!! Also, I've shared your post with my book friends so hopefully you'll be meeting some lovely ladies from the online realm very soon!!!

    The Paying Guests was, for me, totally everything you said here. I just didn't care what happened to anyone and also found it very similar, in terms of character development, to some of the characters in Tipping the Velvet. I'll just say that it wasn't my favorite Waters novel.

    And I'm coming back to your review of Elizabeth is Missing after I read it because it's at the top of the TBR.

    Can't wait to see more posts like this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration and the share! I'd love to read more blogs and meet more book lovers. I'm really loving doing the audio books, but I think I need to take a break. Pretty sure I'm going to accidentally develop a British accent soon.

      Let me know when you finish Elizabeth is Missing so we can chat!

      Delete
    2. Umm.. If listening to audiobooks does that to you then please listen to more because that would be hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to book blogging! Found your blog when Beth tweeted the link, and I'm excited to see what you're reading and writing about. I haven't read either of these books yet, but the Sarah Waters has been on my stack for a while, but I've heard such mixed things (and it's such a long book) that I'm not sure if I'll get to it. I hadn't heard of the other, but color me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry! Thanks for the welcome! I think doing the audio for The Paying Guests definitely helped me get through it faster. At times it's like listening to a friend of a friend go on and on about stuff you don't care about and you're only really listening to be polite.There are parts of the story that I really liked and kept me hooked, but overall it was a lot of smiling and nodding my head politely. Hope you check out Elizabeth is Missing. It was great!

      Delete