Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The One Where We Got Married

Last year Bryan and I had lots of conversations about marriage. We went back and forth on what to do. Did we want a big wedding? Did we want a small wedding? Who should invite? When should we get married? Where should we get married? Most importantly, what would be eating? 

I became overwhelmed at all the magazines, television shows, and Pinterest boards dedicated to every little decision. At the end of the year we agreed that while we loved the idea of getting married, we hated the idea of a wedding. So we made the decision to go downtown in January and get married.

On our way to the courthouse!
When we got to the courthouse I was surprised at how many people were in line. Some couples looked like they had walked right out of a wedding magazine and others looked like they had rolled right out of bed. Some had lots of family members with them and others, like us, were there by themselves. After we paid our $10 we sat in a small room with all the other couples and waited for our name to be called. 

I wish I remembered the name of our judge because she was really nice and politely ignored the fact that tears immediately started pouring down my face the moment she started talking. Bryan held it together really well, but I silently cried through the entire three minute "ceremony."

I asked the judge if we could get a picture with her and she replied, "Yes! Let's take a selfie!"

The weirdest part of the courthouse experience was when we were leaving there were all these photographers asking if we wanted our picture taken. They had little stations set up with a mobile printer so we could leave with our very own "wedding souvenir." Weird, right? I thought about getting one but noticed there was no green screen present. I'm not paying money unless it looks like we got married floating around in space.

We called our parents, siblings, and grandparents after we got home to share the news. Later that week we told the rest of our family and friends. We were a little worried that people would be upset, but we only got happy greetings and well-wishes from everyone.

I couldn't be happier with how Bryan and I decided to officially declare to the world that we're in this together forever. I try not to judge how people choose to take this step. Big weddings. Small weddings. Destination weddings. Courthouse ceremonies. In the end it's all about being with the person you love. You don't need rings or a fancy dress (but if you want them, get them!). It's about being able to hold their hands, look into their eyes (through your tears if you're like me), and promise that you'll love them no matter what. My advice would be to do what feels right and ignore what's expected. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Our rings

Our Love Lock which is locked on the grate at Oak Park Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment