Friday, April 18, 2014

Disneyland: Where A Kid Can Be A Kid...Right?

So maybe I don't know the Disneyland slogan. And maybe when I got there last month I opened my arms and said, "Ah, Disneyland - where a kid can be a kid!" And yeah, maybe Bryan looked at me and said, "Uh, that's not the Disneyland slogan." And sure, I may have said that as I was walking underneath the 'Where Dreams Come True' banner. Maybe a kid can only be a kid at Chuck E. Cheese, but I say there's one too many spokesmice telling me how to have fun.

I've never been to Disneyland as a kid. I've only been as a 20-something-year-old who often gets mistaken as a kid. On my second visit to the Happiest Place on Earth (because I know that Mr. Cheese doesn't make this claim) I decided that everyone should come here in the period of their life between being a kid and having a kid.

Here are five things to do when you're kid-free in Disney...

1. Spend some time in Fantasyland: I know, if you don't have kids why would you spend time in the "kiddie" part of the park? I'm telling you, these rides are like watching old school Disney movies. As you ride in the little train car, you travel through different rooms that feature different scenes in the movie. Except they cut out big important (but usually scary) scenes so it makes no sense how the main character got out of harm's way. The best example was the Snow White ride. You're traveling along as she meets the seven dwarfs, as the Evil Queen talks to the mirror, as Snow White eats the apple, as she goes into her deep sleep, and then in the next room birds are chirping and she lives happily ever after. Wait - huh? What about the part where...? Doesn't matter! She lives happily ever after. Next ride! I would also suggest going on 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.' I'm not sure what type of mischief Pooh was getting in after I stopped watching these cartoons, but apparently he has a really big drug problem now.
You'll feel like a giant in these tiny cars (or if you're me, like a normal-sized person)

























2. Ride the teacups: Speaking of acid - the Mad Tea Party teacups are also in Fantasyland and a must for a classic Disneyland experience.
Bryan refused to spin the teacup because he is a little girl


3. Try a Dole Whip float: Actually, try every food and treat that you want. When you're a kid you have to get permission and when you have kids you have to pay twice as much for everything because there's more than just you - but when you're in the golden Youngest Senior Citizen age you can eat a Dole Whip float whenever you want!
Delicious Dole Whip floats that we may or may not have waited 30 minutes in line for



4. Catch the parade, but only for a few minutes: Bryan and I were able to watch a few minutes of the daytime parade sitting on the bridge in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle. When you don't have kids you don't have to try to find a spot on the street so they can see all the characters dance by. The music is loud enough that you can hear everything for a few songs and then be on your merry way.
Perfect view from the castle bridge


5. Leave the park when you want to leave: Sometimes the best part about Disneyland is leaving Disneyland. We had fun, we ate the food, we rode the rides, we took some pictures, but now my feet are tired. When you're kid-free in Disneyland you can leave whenever you feel like it. Just remember where you parked or you will be walking around the parking garage for 25 minutes trying to remember what Disney character floor level you parked on.
Bryan's reaction after the second time the Indiana Jones ride was shut down for maintenance as we were waiting in line








No comments:

Post a Comment