Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What I Talk About When I Talk About Trying to Run: Part Two

I've got two more 5k's under my unattractive running belt, which I haven't been wearing because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wear it on my waist or around my stomach. I've seen it done both ways and the real runners look great, but I just look like I'm rocking a mini-fanny pack. Rocking is the wrong word. You know that arms crossed, slightly swaying motion you make when you're trying to be cool at a concert? That's me with my mini-fanny pack.

What to keep in your mini-fanny pack:
  • License or some other form of ID
  • Cash (I usually only keep $20-$40 in case I need to catch a cab or buy ice cream)
  • Credit card (In case there's a buy two get one free special on the ice cream)
  • Insurance card (For when your heart stops because you're eating a pint of ice cream after running)
  • Phone (Because it's more important than my left arm)

I'm sure there's other stuff that's important to keep with you, but that's what I typically carry with me if I'm running outside. If I'm running by myself I always tell someone where I'll be just in case. I also have been known to take a picture of myself pre-run and send it to Bryan so he knows what I'm wearing (and he's always impressed with my running outfits - bright pink shorts and a red shirt). Better safe than sorry...that someone doesn't get to witness my awesome color combination. I don't usually take a picture of myself post-run because I don't have enough energy to push the button on my phone. Sadly, my pink shorts have been hidden away in my closet as we've been in week 54 of winter. 

March 2014 - NWF5K
March is a great month for running in Chicago if you like wearing green and drinking beer. Since I was going to be out of town the weekend that most races were taking place, I decided to find a race in California and came across The Natasha Watley Foundation 5k in Woodley Park, CA.  Natasha Watley is a two time Olympian who founded the NWF to help fund softball leagues for inner city girls. My love for all things Olympics combined with my need to find a 5k made this an easy choice. 

Unlike January and February's 5k I was not sick for this race. I had actually been training for weeks prior. The weather was beautiful and the course through Woodley Park was night and day from the freezing/snowy weather back home. I was able to run my fastest 5k since I started running last year! Also, this race had the best free stuff of any race I've done. They had free food and coffee, lots of vendors giving away samples, and even gave us a nice bag too.

I also got the opportunity to meet Natasha Watley! Her arms were as big as my giant head.

April 2014 - The Race That's Good For Life
So remember earlier when I said I was finally not fighting off a cold for March's race? Well right after that race I got yet another cold and was knocked out for three weeks. A year ago The Race That's Good For Life was the first 5k I did. I was a bit disappointed that I was not able to train for this year's race, but I'm glad I was able to run with Bryan and two of my friends. Using the walk/run method I was able to complete my 4th 5k of the year with my 3rd fastest overall time.


I'm currently training for May's 5k and am looking forward to running one on my birthday. Last month I was running for pizza, this month I will be running for birthday pancakes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment