Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What I Talk About When I Talk About Trying to Run: Part Three

There's a trend right now with my Facebook friends. They either post pictures of their kids or their running times. Of course there's that crazy sub-set of people who are doing both. I've been trying to run outside more and will sometimes see parents running with strollers. That's amazing! It's hard enough for me to get out there and push my own weight forward I can't imagine doing that with another human being. There's this crazy guy who runs with a double stroller AND a dog. Thanks for making us all look bad, man. I'm going to start running pulling my Harry Potter books in a Radio Flyer next time I see him and shout, "That's right, those are all seven HARDCOVER Harry Potter books. I'm literally running with the entire wizarding world behind me." He won't hear me because he's listening to Rosetta Stone mastering Parseltongue. 

I'm pretty sure that guy's a superhero.

May 2014 - Easter Seals Run for the Kids Superhero Hustle
My first 5k in May was on my birthday. I briefly mentioned it in an earlier post, but forgot to mention one crazy thing that happened. If you recall, I was dressed as Spider-Man during the race. My friend Katie was Superman and Bryan was Batman. 
Fun fact: I've never run in men's boxers and blue tights before.

My "costume" wasn't that comfortable and after the first stretch of the 5k in the bright, hot sun I was really regretting the tights. I felt bad for the ones with capes as they kept getting in the way. As we were running through the neighborhood I looked around and noticed that almost all of the other runners were dressed up as some superhero. There were police barricades every other intersection or so, but they didn't have enough officers to cover every one. As I turned the corner down one road, I saw a car back out of a driveway and start to drive down the road. The guy was driving a little fast and was trying to swerve around the runners. I could tell he was irritated they were running in the middle of the street. On any other day I totally would agree with Mr. Road Rage. Runners are supposed to run against traffic and usually on the side of the road, but we were obviously running a 5k. Finally Lex Luthor (aka Mr. Road Rage) passes the group and I realize that he really didn't understand that we were running in a 5k. What running group goes out dressed up in full superhero costume? And how do I join them?

May 2014 - The Original 5k
I didn't get to run a 5k in June thanks to a disgusting blister on the bottom of my right foot, but I did run two 5k's in May, so I'm still on track for my goal. The Original 5k was on May 31st so I got as close to June as I could. I'm still not 100 percent sure why this race is called the Original 5k - something about the first 5k happening or when running the 5k got super popular? All I know is that I decided to sign up for this race because the entry fee was $19.72. I ran this race with Bryan, Katie, and Ellie. 
Instead of a t-shirt we got tube socks (as seen in the background)

Walk/Run Method
I took a running class last year. Our instructor was a big proponent of the Walk/Run Method. I wasn't sure if it made a lot of sense. How could I run faster if I was walking? If you're new to running or looking for a way to mix up your running I would definitely suggest this method. I typically will run three minutes and then walk one minute. The minute of walking gives my legs a quick break and I'm fresher and able to run harder for the next three minutes. Last September I ran a 5k straight - no walking, only running. For the Superhero run I did the Walk/Run Method and had the exact same time as last September and felt a lot better after.

No comments:

Post a Comment