Monday, April 20, 2015

Things to Do in New Mexico | Santa Fe and Albuquerque

I love to discover new things when I'm on vacation. I learned a lot while taking a mini-vacation in New Mexico last month; but I think the most important thing I discovered was that I would like to come back in the next life as a burrito. Maybe it's because when we got to Santa Fe it was snowing, but all I kept thinking about was being wrapped in a warm tortilla, covered in melting cheese, and smothered with red and green chile. Picture me sitting on a warm plate underneath a heat lamp just enjoying life. Seems like the life for future me.
Merry Christmas from Santa Fe (a distant cousin of Santa Claus)

We stayed at the Don Gaspar Inn

We spent four days in New Mexico and in that time I consumed roughly 8,000,000 burritos. You've got your breakfast burrito, lunch burrito, dinner burrito, dessert burrito, snack burrito, late-night burrito, 2:00pm burrito, the I'm-so-full-I-can't-eat-anymore-hey-is-that-a-burrito? burrito. Lots of burritos, guys. Lots. Besides eating a burrito, here are the other things I recommend when you're in this beautiful state.

1. Create Your Own Art Walk in Santa Fe
Georgia O'Keeffe Museum

The World's Cutest Docent. I want to be a docent when I grow up into a little old lady.

There are beautiful sculptures everywhere!




Wilford Gallery had the best sculpture garden.


2. Feel Like a Giant at Kakawa Chocolate House
Kakawa Chocolate House

They give out samples of all the drinks - so definitely try before you buy. Some are really delicious, some are spicy, and some tasted like soap. 

Cute little cups! Our afternoon treat was hot chocolate with chili and coconut sugar, bourbon caramel chocolate, and chili caramel chocolate. Yum!

To put this in to perspective, I'm basically the size of a cartoon character. Just imagine how small their cups were!

3. Shop Local

Local pottery store. I couldn't afford anything, but it was so beautiful.



Palace of The Governors



Collected Works Bookstore in Santa Fe

Bookworks in Albuquerque


4. Drink Local


Ohori's Coffee - Santa Fe
Marble Brewery - Albuquerque
Marble doesn't serve food, but they have local food trucks parked outside.



5. Order it Christmas-Style

The Shed - Santa Fe. Home of the hottest green chile known to man. 


Delicious breakfast burrito at The Plaza Cafe

Please don't judge - Cocina Azul


6. Toast Yourself for Climbing Up the Mountain (or you know, taking the 13 minute Tramway...)

Some may have chosen to make the long hike up the mountain. Others may have chosen to pay the $20 to be carried up the mountain. I was already 5,000,000 burritos in at this point of the trip, so taking the tram seemed the way to go. Sandia Peak Tramway








Treat yourself to a nice appetizer or drink at the High Finance Restaurant. You deserve it after those 13 minutes of standing.



The moment when I learned Bryan can't read.



7. Take a Moment to Enjoy the View

New Mexico is beautiful. There's no other way to describe the colors there.

We made a detour on the way to Albuquerque because we wanted to get closer to the mountain. We maybe saw two cars drive by the entire time we were there.


True story: ten seconds after we took this picture I looked down and realized that there were ants crawling all over my feet and the road. Sometimes enjoying the view from inside the car is nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment