Thursday, January 7, 2016

Four Reasons to Run on New Year's Day


There's nothing like running in the winter. Ice on the ground, cleverly covered with snow. Ice in your nostrils. Ice in your brain because no one in their right state of thinking wants to wake up on New Year's Day and run in the freezing cold. So thank goodness there's nothing like running in the winter. Because it's the worst. I've always said that winter is the worst thing to happen to weather since summer.

When I ran this race two years ago, it was even colder and it was snowing. My time was pretty terrible this year, but it was four minutes faster than 2014's time. As we were standing at the start line I overhead a woman tell her friend, "I can't believe we actually paid to do this!" Thinking about signing up next year? Here are four reasons to do it.

Four reasons to do the NYD 5k:

  1. The price is right - only $25 for the 5k!
  2. Swag - the long sleeve technical t-shirt is actually a quality shirt and perfect for winter running (or wintertime pizza eating) 
  3. End the year without the hangover - One unexpected thing I like about this race is that I don't overindulge on New Year's Eve because I know the next day I'm going to be running. It's like getting a jump start on your New Year's diet so you can quit on January 30th instead of the 31st. 
  4. Sleep in - The race starts at 11:00am, so even you did make it to midnight (something that escapes me ever year) you don't have to wake up too early on New Year's Day
And bonus - I'm 1/12th of the way through with my goal to run a race every month!

No comments:

Post a Comment